October 7, 2018 – graded POINTS race – Windmill, 53 Km

Divisions on Windmill – 7 October 2018

Graded Points Race

Windmill circuit – 53 km


The threat of a shower or two did not deter 26 riders from taking their place in the first Points race the club has staged.
The concept was born a few years ago when just four riders showed up for criteriums.  Graeme Parker and Terry Collie conjured some new races for the four riders on that day – a 3 Km handicapped Time Trial and a Points race.  Both of those events have now made it onto the Eureka calendar, albeit on longer circuits.
*The Points race format will be used during 2019 when the club introduces kermess racing on a brand new 6.5 kilometre circuit near Learmonth.

We should also note the riders who were backing up from a tough 85 Km BSCC race the previous day – well done!

On today’s menu… three laps of Windmill with points awarded at the end of each lap 4, 3, 2, 1. The rider with the most points in each division wins… Riders, spin your cranks!

Division 4
Graeme Parker went off a bit early to enable his dicky knee time to warm up.  Terry Collie and Jacqui Dawson set off at a fair clip but took three quarters of a lap to catch Graeme. At this point it was decided to work on Jacqui’s sprint (no point trying spread each other all over the course) so for the first sprint Terry lead out and Jacqui was able to come off the wheel and hold a small advantage to the line.  It was then swap turns to sprint no. 2 and this time Jacqui tried the lead out so Terry waited and came off the wheel late and hard. Graeme was content to keep the knee under control and share the pacemaking.
So to the last sprint and Jacqui was again able to use the lead out and come off the wheel for a well deserved win.
We have a tough competitor here who just refuses to give up!

1st – Jacqui Dawson 11 pts (4, 3, 4)
2nd – Terry Collie 10 pts (3, 4, 3)
3rd – Graeme Parker 6 pts (2, 2, 2)

Division 3
A mixed field of experience and sprinters fronted the line – James Gretton, Bob Morley, Steve Linane, Danny Whelan, Phil McLennan, Roger McMillan and Peter Livitsanis.
Livi was returning from an overseas trip of four weeks.  He said he didn’t touch a bike and that he ate and drank too much…so off he went from the line like a flash and the race was on.  Livi tested the field on the first hill and it troubled no one.

Up Donovan’s and Whelan the Wrecker was on the front in time trial mode.  Livi lit up the first sprint and the smooth pedalling Gretton sped to the front.  Morley pegged him back but was half a wheel short.  Linane held on for third.

The second lap was noted for the Whelan attack on the hill.  Morley was on his wheel but breakfast was threatening to return.  This saw the demise of McMillan – who can sprint – so the field was relieved.  McLennan did a huge sacrificial turn on the final straight for the second time.  This time Gretton went early and hard and Morley had to work hard to get back on his wheel.  Gretton faltered 200 hundred metres out and Morley took off to claim the second sprint.

McLennan was gone.  Another hit up the hill and Ralph was off the back, the field was down to three.  Morley, Whelan and the cagey Linane.
Linane went to the front a couple of times but there was no risk of him breaking the cranks.  Into the sprint for the last lap and the result was pretty much a forgone conclusion for the overall decision.  Linane suggested to Morley that we gift the last lap to Whelan because he had worked hard. Morley dismissed this suggestion (in a kindly manner of course) “You’re having a laugh!”.

It was down to the three and funnily enough Whelan was on the front.  600 meters out, Linane cut through the inside and committed.  It was a great move as he held off Morley to take the last sprint.  Great format, great race.

1st – Bob Morley 10 pts (3, 4, 3)
2nd – Steve Linane 8 pts (1, 3, 4)
3rd – James Gretton 7 pts (4, 3, 0)

Division 2
Seven riders, including a few with self imposed handicaps lined up for Division 2.
Jeremy Humber and Pete Canny both had jelly legs from the previous day’s BSCC race.  Mick Veal was jet lagged having just flown back from his Griswald’s holiday in the USA.  Trial rider Paul Tabbitt was out for his first ever road race.  Grant Dawson had chosen bike riding over watching Bathurst and Rick Calvert was ready to find some speed for the upcoming trophy races.

A fairly steady first lap, with a slight headwind up Coghill’s Creek Road and some pushes on the hills.  The lack of attacks ended in a bunch sprint with Crumpler and then Veal over the line.

The second lap was a little smarter, with Veal yelling group strategy (in reverse logic) to drop Crumpler of the hills.  Most had a go attacking on the back hills, but it all came back together fairly quickly.  Humber got away on the tailwind leg (Donovan’s Road) towards the lap-2 finish, Crumpler bridged the gap, and both headed to the finish line with Humber launching a well-timed sprint to win lap 2.

The third lap got serious with an attack up the quarry hill (Dawson, Canny and Tabbitt) splitting the group into two, finally coming together again at the church corner (Addington Rd/Coghill’s Creek Rd).   The attacks were on on the last hill, with Calvert and Canny making breaks.  The final long break from Canny got him to the finish line first, with Crumpler chasing and Tabbitt in 3rd.

1st – Jim Crumpler 10 pts (4, 3, 3)
2nd – Jeremy Humber 8 pts (3, 4, 1)
3rd – Paul Tabbitt 5 pts (1, 2, 2)

Division 1
Off to a flying start, Division 1 tore around the Windmill circuit on the first lap and averaged 39 Kph.  It seemed that the unspoken plan was to set a high enough pace to deter anyone from making a long range attack for points.

The field of nine certainly had a mix of riders – Rob Ellis and Craig Lee were both backing up from the 85 Km BSCC race on Saturday, Sam Smith had made a last minute decision to venture out to Learmonth, Rob Phillips and Matt Ayres were enjoying a lift out to the major league, Stu Brien, Peter Kiel and Dean Wells were expecting to get brained in the sprints and Brendan Schiemer was out for his first race since winter…so of course it rained…

As mentioned, the first lap got off to a flyer and the riders never relented.  Smith tried an attack down Addington Road which was quickly covered by Ellis and Kiel.
Ellis was able to get off the front in Donovan’s Road and Brien joined him.  The others gradually reeled them in and the riders were all accounted for as they crested the final rise before the run to the finish line.
Lee and Smith went early.  The wiser heads knew that the fastest sprinter was Ayres and they queued up on his wheel as he towed them back to Smith and Lee.  Ayres went and Wells followed with Schiemer putting a gap to the rest.
Sprint 1: Ayres, Schiemer, Wells, Lee

Lee didn’t ease off as they started the second lap.  Whilst others were gasping, he was driving ahead. Phillips had been lost to the bunch already.
Riders scrambled and eventually caught Lee, however Ayres was struggling and would soon be unhooked.
Up the quarry hill and Ellis was keeping a high pace.  Into the headwind along Coghill’s Creek Road and when Wells noticed Ayres off the back he encouraged everyone to keep driving.  Ellis obliged.  Eventually the others joined in and Ayres was out of the running.
Down Addington Road again and Schiemer had a rapid air deflation episode which saw him out of the race.
Into Donovan’s Road and Ellis resumed the lead and just kept ploughing on.  The others were more than happy to let him do a 4 kilometre lead out.  Wells was on his wheel and as they neared the finish line Smith was the first to hit out.  Wells and Lee found his wheel before Lee exploded away to take the sprint.  Tight for second and plenty of space between the other riders.
Sprint 2: Lee, Smith, Wells, Brien

Ellis rolled back through to the front and kept driving the race as they passed the quarry.  His glances over his shoulder were more than enough to suggest that he had finally warmed up and was ready to dish out some hurt.  Up the hill and he opened a small gap, into Coghill’s Creek Road and he was away.
Passing through Blowhard and Smith rallied the remaining troops to start the chase.  Five riders chasing one and “the one” was pulling away.
The status quo remained until the race turned into Donovan’s Road for the third and final time.  Up the rise and Smith applied some more power.  Kiel was there to cover the move, however lungs were hurting everywhere.
Smith got a few metres off the front of the chase group – he had Ellis in his sights.  Lee jumped across and the two started working to ensure Wells couldn’t follow.  He couldn’t and they pulled away all the while closing in on Ellis.
The pair eventually collared Ellis inside the last kilometre, but oh had they been made to earn the catch!
Down to the line and screaming legs could barely muster anything approaching the speeds of the earlier sprint.  Nonetheless, Lee took the major points and the overall race win. The field was spread over an even greater distance.
Sprint 3: Lee, Smith, Ellis, Wells

Smith rounded out his morning by donating his prize money back to the club.  Raffle tickets were purchased in his name and he duly won the $50 Ballan Local Butcher meat tray!

1st – Craig Lee 9 pts (1, 4, 4)
2nd – Sam Smith 6 pts (0, 3, 3)
3rd – Dean Wells 5 pts (2, 2, 1)


Recent club racing


Recent Comments

    Race Archives

    Login Form